2012 marks Safelite AutoGlass’s 65 years in business. With this milestone, we’d like to take a look back at our timeline and celebrate how we’ve grown.
From its humble beginnings as a simple windshield replacement shop in Wichita, Kan. in 1947, Safelite has become a national leader in all things vehicle glass related – from being the largest U.S. producer of aftermarket windshields to being the only national provider of auto glass repair and replacement.
Since, Safelite has been among the first, if not the first, to implement many customer-centric and innovative solutions into the auto glass industry, including:
- Mobile service – bringing trained, expert technicians to customers’ home or place of business
- Windshield chip repair – offering a better solution for when damage is less than six inches
- HPX3 – the strongest, longest lasting repair resin on the market
- Wire cutting windshield removal and lifting tools – for a safer installation
- Mobile technology – relying on smartphones and more for a seamless mobile service
- Unrivaled product inventory – only Safelite has a national warehousing solution so customers can be served within 24 hours in most cases
Over its 65 years, Safelite has undergone many name changes and owners. Because of this, one may assume this was a business destined to fail. Yet, in 2007 when the company was acquired by Belron®, the worldwide leaders in vehicle glass, Safelite was given a new direction and motivation.
As the company invested heavily to re-build its reputation, a new passion to delight customers was unleashed. Within the last five years, Safelite has become a world-class leader in customer service. That includes growing our national contact centers from just 12 service representatives to nearly 2,000 within four facilities across the country. It also includes the best training and certification process for superior technicians. We’ve doubled our business and we plan to double it again – that’s thanks to the commitment our people have placed on our customers.
We hope to serve you for another 65 years.